Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Unexpected




With limited time each week that I can devote to being in the studio, I often go into the studio on Thursday mornings with a plan of what it is I want to do for the day.  Some mornings it is as simple as knowing if I am going to throw on the wheel or spend some time hand building.  Other days I go in with a specific goal or creation in mind. This particular morning I had a very specific idea of what it was I wanted to accomplish.  I had some remnants of clay bags that I wanted to clean out and use up before I purchased  any new materials.  I also knew I wanted to do some hand building with a  two textured vase  in mind.  All began well as I rolled out my slabs found my texture and  began to  assemble my pieces  on the base I had ready.  Then oops! I stood it up  and as I was sealing my seams, it slumped to one side.I scrambled to straighten it  then walked away from it to look for something that would help me support it on the inside while I  worked on the outside.  It slumped again. Sometimes that is all it takes.  Walking away from a piece  and looking at it from a different angle to see what it really needs.  Or in this case see what  it is calling to be.  As I returned from across the room I knew instantly what I was going to do with that slump and bulge that was emerging from my form.  If I had been stuck in my thinking that day I would have completely missed this.  I gave it another bulge and a belly full of life.  She quickly came to life. It felt like she emerged  almost on her own.   I love this piece for so many reasons one of them being a huge reminder that sometimes I need to put my own agenda aside and listen; letting  my work speak to me.    

3 comments:

  1. That is so true about listening to the clay when it speaks, it has happened to me so many times and those are some of the best pieces I have made letting the clay take over. I love your sculpture such a unique piece. So glad you started a blog, thanks for visiting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that. And welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit the blog!